Bad news for Hannibal fans: The chances that NBC’s series about the exploits of the beloved serial killer dandy will be renewed for a 4th season are getting slimmer with each day.
It’s no secret that I am a big fan of that show myself, that’s why I decided to compile a list of 8 movies featuring cannibalism, which you can watch in between episodes, while anxiously waiting for the outcome of the renewal negotiations or simply whenever you need your cinematic fix of anthropophagy.
A few rules I set up for this list:
- I wanted to create a selection that is as varied as possible, so I did not exclusively choose straight horror movies.
- Each movie receives a short description and a mini-review reflecting my very subjective impressions.
- A predicament for my choice was that the topic “cannibalism” is at the centre of the movie and not just a side plot. For example, I did not include Sin City, although it has a great performance by Elijah Wood as god-fearing man-eater, for the simple reason that cannibalism is just one minor element among a bunch of other depravities featured in that movie.
- After some heavy pondering, I decided to NOT include any of the “classic” Italian cannibal movies, like Cannibal Holocaust or Cannibal Ferox, etc. One reason is that those are so idiosyncratic with their own tropes and rules, that they represent their very own subgenre that would need a whole article on itself to do it justice. Another, more pivotal reason for my decision is the fact that I am just not a big fan of them. I can respect their place in exploitation film history, but for my tastes the basic concept is not that interesting and the execution was mostly dull, not to speak of the off-putting real (!) cruelty against animals some of them used to feature.
- I also intentionally left out the movies featuring the character Hannibal Lecter.
Enough introductory words, here we go! (Beware: Some disturbing imagery ahead, thus slightly NSFW!)